Recently, we reviewed what cybersecurity is and what makes it such a great career option, and here, we’ll discuss where you should go to get your degree in cybersecurity.
We’ll review the different options you have for earning a degree in cybersecurity, what you will learn in a cybersecurity program, and why you should consider earning your degree online instead of in-person.
Choosing the right school is an important decision that can set you up for a lifelong career in the field, or a disappointing dead-end, so if you’re serious about becoming a cybersecurity professional, then you should pay careful attention to this post.
Once you’ve finished reading about the different options for earning your degree in cybersecurity, fill out our information request form to receive additional details about CSU Global’s 100% online Bachelor’s Degree Program in Cybersecurity, or if you’re ready to get started, submit your application today.
Where Should I Go to Get My Degree in Cybersecurity?
When considering where to go to get your degree in cybersecurity, make sure to consider only accredited academic institutions that have a history of helping students build successful careers in the field.
Look for a school with faculty that have extensive experience in the field, and for coursework that aligns with professional certification exams that hiring managers actually want job candidates to hold.
CSU Global’s B.S. in Cybersecurity program satisfies these conditions and offers more than just a degree. Our program is an investment in your future and designed to prepare you for a successful, lifelong career in this challenging, yet rewarding industry.
Our entirely online cybersecurity program is the perfect way to gain the critical skills, knowledge, and academic credentials you need to break into this highly competitive field.
By choosing to study cybersecurity at CSU Global, you can rest assured that you’ll be taught by experienced industry professionals, that you’ll learn to utilize the most relevant industry technologies and systems, and that you’ll be able to complete your degree program entirely online and at an affordable price.
What Are the Benefits of Studying Online?
Choosing to earn your bachelor’s degree in cybersecurity online instead of in-person offers many great benefits.
Specifically, online degrees tend to provide more freedom and flexibility than in-person programs, as they allow students to pursue their education without having to sacrifice other areas in their life such as family or work commitments.
Not all online programs are made equally, however, as some academic institutions lack the technology and expertise needed to provide a high-quality online degree program.
CSU Global is the first independent and fully accredited 100% online state university in the country, and our reputation is sure to impress when it comes time for you to hit the job market after completing your degree.
Simply put, earning your Bachelor’s Degree in Cybersecurity online with CSU Global allows for far greater flexibility and freedom than traditional on-campus programs, increasing the odds that you’ll be able to finish what you start.
What Will I Learn from CSU Global’s Online Cybersecurity Degree Program?
As a future cybersecurity professional, you’ll need to learn how to complete challenging job functions, including:
- Documenting security breaches and assessing the damage they cause.
- Working with various departments to perform system tests and uncover network vulnerabilities.
- Fixing detected vulnerabilities to maintain a high-security standard.
- Staying current on Information Technology (IT) security trends and best practices.
- Developing company-wide best practices for IT security.
- Performing penetration testing.
- Assisting colleagues in installing security software and understanding information security management.
Fortunately, our online program will help you develop the skills and knowledge required for accomplishing these tasks, ensuring you graduate ready to go to work.
In fact, our program teaches critical cybersecurity tasks, such as:
- Analyzing complex computing problems and applying principles of computing and other relevant disciplines to identify solutions
- Designing, implementing, and evaluating a computing-based solution to meet a given set of computing requirements in the context of the program’s discipline
- Communicating effectively in a variety of professional contexts
- Recognizing professional responsibilities and making informed judgments in computing practice based on legal and ethical principles
- Applying security principles and practices to maintain operations in the presence of risks and threats
- Protecting data and information from cyber threats
- Differentiating between various informal security models
- Evaluating network vulnerabilities
While the above list of responsibilities may seem intimidating now, you’ll emerge from our program ready to perform these complex duties and launch your career as a professional cybersecurity expert.
Is a Degree in Cybersecurity Really Worth Getting?
If you’re looking to launch a lifelong career in a challenging, but rewarding and potentially lucrative space, then you should consider enrolling in a cybersecurity program.
Getting your degree in this field is the best way to prepare yourself for a successful career in this challenging, complex industry, where you’ll be tasked with protecting sensitive data, computer networks, and technical systems from cyber attacks.
According to the Bureau of Labor Statistics, the employment of information security analysts, one of the most popular job titles in cybersecurity, is projected to rise 35% between 2021 and 2031, which is much faster than the average rate of growth for all occupations.
Because of the rapid growth of cybersecurity job openings, there has never been a better time to get into the industry. If you have any interest in cybersecurity operations, then you should certainly think about completing a degree program in the field.
Is Cybersecurity Right for Me?
While cybersecurity may seem more complex than some of the easier or more intuitive disciplines, a career in this field can be an excellent option for individuals looking to establish long-term success.
Not everyone is suited to become a cybersecurity professional, but certain personality characteristics can make someone uniquely suited to enjoy this work.
If you possess any of the following traits, then cybersecurity may be a good fit for you:
- Critical Thinking Skills: Many cybersecurity tasks will require you to analyze large sets of complicated data, and you will be expected to use this data to determine what could go wrong and how to properly mitigate cybersecurity threats, so practice with critical thinking is going to be incredibly important to your career.
- Creativity: There are endless ways in which cyber criminals try to access secure systems, and your job as a cybersecurity professional will be to think creatively about how to properly secure a company's private information and computer systems.
- Problem-Solving Skills: Cybersecurity professionals use data to solve problems. Problem-solving skills like diagnosing, modeling, and analyzing data, as well as creativity, help workers tackle new issues.
- Computer Skills: Cybersecurity professionals are called on to do a variety of technical computer-related tasks, including building a cloud system, creating access software, coding, or installing firewalls. Having strong computer skills will be essential for success in this role.
- Communication Skills: This is critical for successful cybersecurity professionals since you’ll be coordinating resources and monitoring systems across multiple departments. If you’re a great communicator, it will be extremely helpful to your cybersecurity career.
- Detailed-Oriented: You’ll need to track, monitor, and respond to numerous data points during your cybersecurity work, and paying close attention to details is a skill that comes in handy throughout the entire process.
This is only a small list of the traits indicating that you might make a great candidate for becoming a cybersecurity professional, so if any of them seem to describe you, then don’t hesitate to work on launching your own career in this lucrative industry.
CSU Global’s online Bachelor’s Degree in Cybersecurity provides far more than just a diploma; instead, we prepare graduates for a successful, lifelong career in this challenging, yet rewarding field.
Our program is widely recognized as one of the best degrees in the industry, as it currently holds several excellent rankings, including:
- A #3 ranking on Top 10 Online Cyber Security Undergraduate Certificate Programs for 2021 from Security Degree Hub.
- A #10 ranking on Best Online Cyber Security Degree Programs of 2022 from Intelligent.
CSU Global itself also recently earned several impressive rankings of its own, including:
- A #1 ranking for Best Online Colleges & Schools in Colorado from Best Accredited Colleges.
- A #1 ranking for Best Online Colleges in Colorado from Best Colleges.
- A #10 ranking for Best Online Colleges for ROI from OnlineU.
Our cybersecurity faculty have recent industry experience and the program’s coursework is aligned with professional certification exams that employers want from cybersecurity professionals, including:
- (ISC)2 Certified Cloud Security Professional (CCSP)
- (ISC)2 Systems Security Certified Practitioner (SSCP)
- EC-Council Certified Encryption Specialist (EC-Council ECES)
- EC-Council Certified Incident Handler (EC-Council ECIH)
- CompTIA A+, Network +, Security+, and Project+
Completing this program will provide you with competence in the areas associated with the Certified Information Systems Security Professional (CISSP) exam, preparing you to deliver real results from your first day in the industry.
Finally, to help save you time and money on the costs of your degree, we offer competitive tuition rates, a Tuition Guarantee that ensures your low tuition rate won’t increase from enrollment through graduation, and the opportunity to earn credits via our Prior Learning Assessment (PLA) program.
For additional details about our fully accredited, 100% online Bachelor’s Degree in Cybersecurity, please give us a call at 800-462-7845 or fill out our Information Request Form.
Ready to get started today? Apply now!