Recently we explained what machine learning is and what machine learning graduates do in the workforce, and here we’ll discuss the many reasons to consider getting a degree in machine learning.
In this post, we’ll detail all the benefits of studying machine learning, we’ll explain whether or not you need a degree to break into the industry, and we’ll outline all the reasons why you should choose to get your degree online instead of in-person.
After you’ve learned everything you need to know about the degree, please fill out our information request form to receive additional details about our 100% online Master’s Degree in AI & Machine Learning.
If you’re ready to get started, submit your application today.
Why Should You Consider a Degree in Machine Learning?
Machine Learning is a fantastic field for anyone interested in working with cutting-edge technology who is also looking to establish a lifelong career in an interesting industry.
There are many good reasons to study machine learning, but three of the most compelling reasons to get a degree in machine learning include:
- Machine learning engineers get to play an incredibly important role in modern businesses, helping them develop effective solutions to complex problems.
- This is an excellent career for anyone looking to earn a considerable salary, as Indeed.com reports the average base salary for machine learning engineers was $122,979 per year (as of July 28, 2022).
- Demand for machine learning engineers is expected to continue growing.
To give you a better understanding of the excellent career opportunities available to people with machine learning degrees, let’s look at each of these elements in additional detail.
Machine Learning Engineers Play a Critical Role in the Modern Economy
If you’re looking for a career that allows you to make a truly significant contribution to whatever organizations you end up working for, then machine learning may be the perfect opportunity.
Modern businesses are beginning to rely on cutting-edge technology like machine learning to drive profitability, improve business efficiency, and achieve an organization's strategic objectives.
As a result, nearly every single organization in every sector of the economy needs the assistance of trained machine learning engineers who are capable of developing technical solutions to complex problems.
If one of your career objectives is to achieve a role that truly matters to the organization that employs you, then you’ll certainly want to consider studying and pursuing a career in machine learning.
Machine Learning Alumni Are Capable of Earning Excellent Salaries
Nearly all jobs in the industry have fantastic earning potential, with the most prestigious roles earning extremely high salaries.
What sets machine learning work apart from many other disciplines is that it isn’t just the top jobs that pay well; in this case, even entry-level positions can come with a considerable salary.
Four job titles commonly held by machine learning professionals, as reported by the Bureau of Labor Statistics, are reported to have excellent annual salaries, including:
- Computer Programmers - 2021 Median Pay: $93,000
- Computer Systems Analysts - 2021 Median Pay: $99,270
- Software Developers, Quality Assurance Analysts, and Testers - 2021 Median Pay: $110,140
- Computer and Information Research Scientists - 2021 Median Pay: $131,490
Keep in mind that this is only a very short list of a handful of jobs for machine learning alumni and that the list of common roles runs much larger.
With access to so many high-paying jobs, machine learning is an excellent industry for anyone looking to maximize their earning potential.
If your long-term goal is to develop a set of skills that will help you gain access to lucrative jobs, then you’ll certainly want to consider getting a degree in machine learning.
Demand for Machine Learning Professionals is Growing Quickly
It’s a good time to get into machine learning, as the BLS projects that demand for many roles in this field will rise considerably over the next decade.
In fact, the Bureau of Labor Statistics projects that employment will rise sharply for each of the following industry jobs between 2020 and 2030:
- Computer and Information Research Scientists - 22% projected growth
- Software Developers - 22% projected growth
- Computer Network Architects - 5% projected growth
Because demand for industry roles is expected to grow so quickly, there are likely to be lots of job openings for future graduates of machine learning programs.
As the industry continues to grow, we expect that there will be more access to better and higher-paying jobs as well, including more roles in management and leadership positions.
Do You Really Need a Degree to Break Into the Industry?
While it’s possible to get a job in the field without first completing a degree in machine learning, those with a degree should have an easier time getting their foot in the door.
Why? Because machine learning professionals are asked to handle incredibly important responsibilities, including:
- Utilizing machine learning to perform a variety of different tasks, including complex processes like image analysis and reconstruction.
- Analyzing and applying machine learning principles for reasoning processes and uncertainty.
- Solving a variety of complicated problems by implementing advanced machine learning and AI-driven solutions.
- Designing and then building machine learning and AI-based systems and solutions to perform complex tasks that model, but outperform human behavior.
- Evaluating and improving technologies, systems, and solutions that rely on machine learning and AI processes.
While these descriptions are broad, the important thing to realize is that machine learning engineers, AI developers, system analysts, and other similar roles come with a great deal of responsibility, and the organizations hiring for available positions are likely to prefer candidates with solid education credentials.
Getting your degree won’t just help you develop the knowledge, skills, and abilities you need to succeed in this competitive and challenging industry, it’ll also make it much easier to convince hiring managers to give you a chance with their organization.
Completing a degree in machine learning proves that you’re ready to provide value to any organization from day one.
Should You Get Your Degree in Machine Learning Online?
Yes, you should certainly consider getting your degree online, especially if you’ve got a busy schedule with family or work responsibilities.
Studying online provides far more flexibility and freedom than getting your degree from an in-person program, and CSU Global’s 100% online degrees were specifically designed to maximize flexibility by offering:
- No set class times or physical locations.
- Monthly class starts.
- Accelerated eight-week courses.
Our online Master’s Degree in Machine Learning provides you with an incredibly efficient way to get the education credentials you need to advance your career, all while working in your own time, at your own pace, and from the comfort and convenience of your own home (or anywhere else that you should choose to study!).
Why Should You Consider Studying Machine Learning at CSU Global?
Our online AI & Machine Learning Master’s Degree program is an excellent choice for anyone looking to pursue a career in this exciting and growing field.
This program is regionally accredited by the Higher Learning Commission and widely respected by industry professionals, while CSU Global itself is recognized as an industry leader in online education, having recently earned:
- A #1 ranking for Best Online AI Degree from Successful Student.
- Named to Analytics Insight's list of Top Online Masters Courses for Artificial Intelligence in 2021.
- A #1 ranking for Best Online Colleges & Schools in Colorado from Best Accredited Colleges.
- A #1 ranking for Best Online Colleges in Colorado from Best Colleges.
Finally, CSU Global also offers competitive tuition rates, a Tuition Guarantee to ensure your rate won’t increase, and Alternative Credit Options like Credit By Exam, Self Study Assessment (SSA), and Prior Learning Assessment (PLA) to help save you time and money.
To get additional details about our fully accredited, 100% online Master’s in AI and Machine Learning program, please give us a call at 800-462-7845, or fill out our Information Request Form.
Ready to get started today? Apply now!