Prepare yourself for upper-level management or to lead your own company with a solid understanding of the dynamics of organizations, teams, and today’s ever-changing business landscape.
Many businesses depend on organizational leaders to make decisions regarding creatively implementing new programs, cutting costs, and training employees in an effort to make the company more efficient, effective, and successful.
If you’re pursuing your master’s degree so you can progress in your career, Organizational Leadership may just be the discipline you're looking for.
Some job titles within the organizational leadership field include:
- Development Manager
- Director of Education
- Training Manager
- Human Resources Manager
- Benefits Administrator
- Executive Manager
Organizational leaders are able to work in nearly every industry. Typically, these professionals work in an office setting, and some may travel from main offices to regional offices or training facilities. They also need to have strong interpersonal skills, a focused attention to detail, and a strong sense of initiative.
Does this sound like you? If it does, fill out the form to the right. An Enrollment Counselor will help you get started on an organizational leadership master's degree program.
The organizational leadership field is projected to grow at the same rate as the all-occupation average of 11%, according to the Bureau of Labor Statistics. That means there will competition in this field, and earning your master's degree and gaining hands-on experience will place you among the top candidates.
Job duties as an organizational leader include:
- Assessing employee training needs
- Developing training programs
- Teaching training methods to supervisors
- Evaluating the effectiveness of the training programs
- Creating and maintaining a budget
- Creating and presenting reports
A graduate degree in organizational leadership may be the way forward. Get in touch today if this sounds like the career for you.
We provide students with career-relevant resources to help them succeed outside of the classroom. That's why we created Awards of Completion and Skills Endorsements, specific to our programs of study, spotlighting the knowledge, skills, and abilities that hiring managers find essential to success in the field. Research and Decision Making and Strategic Global Organizational Leadership are two of the awards you can receive as part of our organizational leadership program.
Earn Your Master's Degree In Organizational Leadership
CSU-Global’s online master’s degree in organizational leadership program will provide you with the knowledge necessary for upper-level management positions.
Throughout the program you will develop expertise in evaluating business research, organizational innovation, decision making, communication, organizational psychology, business ethics, and team leadership. You’ll also gain experience in applying these skills to real-world business situations.
M.S. in Organizational Leadership and M.S. in Management Dual Degree
If you're enrolled in either the M.S. in Organizational Leadership or the M.S. in Management program you may be eligible to participate in the dual degree program. Upon completion of an additional 18 credit hours (54 credit hours total), if you then decide to enter this program you may be eligible to receive both the M.S. in Management and the M.S. in Organizational Leadership degree. You must enroll in the Dual Degree Program prior to conferral of your first degree.
If you've initially enrolled in the Organizational Leadership master's degree program, the following additional 3-credit courses are required for a dual degree:
- ACT500: Managerial AccountingUnderstand and apply accounting information for effective financial decision making in the strategic planning process.
- ECN500: Global EconomicsThis course applies and examines classical economic knowledge of international trade and finance to inform decision making in the areas of business, management, and policy. Topics such as classical trade theory, barriers to trade, regulatory policies, gross domestic product, and international banking are explored.
- FIN500: Principles of FinanceUnderstand the principles and theories of finance to analyze statements and fiscal information for effective decision-making in today’s competitive environment.
- MGT545: Strategic Planning and InnovationThis course is an exploration of the essentials of business, marketing, and innovation in relation to organizational strategic choice. The course focuses on setting strategy, developing market opportunity analysis, and goals for an organization with consideration of internal and external resources, market opportunities, and return on investment. Topics include strategy, market opportunity analysis, market research, the use of new technologies, and tactics for achieving competitive advantage.
- MGT575: Critical Evaluation of Research and TheoryThis course emphasizes the critical evaluation of research and theory in an applied business setting. This course focuses on the comprehension and evaluation of research related to leading and managing business organizations from both the consumer and creator perspectives. Topics include the research process, theoretical frameworks, qualitative and quantitative approaches, and applied research design within an organizational context.
- MGT579: Capstone — Management OR MGT581: Management: Strategy and ExecutionStudents have the option of selecting MGT579 or MGT581 as their capstone course of this program. See the Academic Catalog for full course descriptions. Both options represent a culmination of the knowledge and skills gain throughout the M.S. in Management program.
The Master of Science in Organizational Leadership prepares students to lead dynamic organizations through complex changes in today's global society. Students gain the ability to meet organizational needs by developing people and processes, as well as implementing strategic initiatives in order to maintain a competitive advantage. Specific topics include organizational structure, culture, leadership of diverse teams, decision making, and communication as each apply to the business needs of today. Students also have the opportunity to synthesize the knowledge they gain along with established theories and research in order to analyze and evaluate a current organizational challenge and to propose solutions for increased effectiveness. The Society for Human Resource Management (SHRM) has acknowledged that this program is aligned with their HR Curriculum Guidebook and Template when combined with a Specialization in Human Resource Management or Human Resource Performance.
- Analyze how individuals and groups interact within organizations.
- Develop knowledge of strategies that support stakeholders and enhance organizational capacity.
- Evaluate human behavior within organizations to understand effective leadership, organizational communication, ethical practices, and cogent decision-making principles.
- Demonstrate the ability to create and sustain lifelong learning to promote a cohesive culture within an organization.
- Assess current challenges of organizational leadership in historical and current contexts.
- Analyze and integrate theories of leadership within personal and professional contexts.
- Demonstrate skills for effective strategy development within an organization by completing a capstone project.
Click here to view our learning outcomes assessment data.
CSU-Global’s accredited online master’s degree in organizational leadership is designed to provide you with a practical knowledge of the field. The program consists of 8 three-credit core courses as part of a full 36-credit master’s degree. (Some M.S. in Organizational Leadership students may be required to take RES501 as part of their program if they have an undergraduate GPA below 3.00. In this case, the degree program is 39 credits.)
- RES501: Fundamentals of Research and WritingThis course is only required for students who are accepted into this program with an undergraduate GPA below 3.00.
The primary purpose of this course is to help students entering graduate level programs at CSU-Global develop awareness of current and effective research and writing practices with the goal of implementing such practices into their writing and research projects. Students will learn what constitutes graduate level writing and research as well as how to communicate with colleagues in online professional forums. Students will also learn to effectively integrate writing and research skills into the writing projects they will pursue throughout their graduate level programs.
- ORG502: Effective Organizations—Theory and PracticeIn this course, students gain an understanding of managing operational and strategic issues in public and private organizations facing accelerated social, economic, and technological changes. Students will examine organizational theory, strategic thinking and management, and theories guiding decision making, leadership, organizational culture, and change management.
- ORG530: Business Ethics and Corporate Social ResponsibilityIn this course, students explore the ethical considerations that guide and inform business decisions and strategies. Students learn the concept of Corporate Social Responsibility (CSR) to understand and apply ethics from social, economic, and environmental perspectives.
- ORG555: Leading Diverse TeamsIn this course, students gain a comprehensive understanding of diversity as it applies to strategic planning, cultural change, and team dynamics. Students learn to identify the realities of developing and implementing diversity initiatives for the organization and the workforce, as well as explore emerging issues in diversity management.
- ORG561: Examination of Modern LeadershipIn this course, students learn the skills and insights to be effective leaders and contributors in the creation and evolution of successful organizations. Students examine relevant readings, case studies, and research to analyze today’s successful companies. Additionally, students determine key factors involved in sustaining organizations.
- ORG525: Decision Theory in a Global MarketplaceThis course analyzes the roles of leaders and managers in organizational decision making, at both the individual and organizational levels. In the contact of organizational theories of behavior and leadership, students consider how decision and choice theory are applied in organizational settings. Practical problem solving and conflict management skills are practiced through the application of decision-making tools and leadership approaches for leading change in professional settings.
- ORG536: Contemporary Business Writing and CommunicationThis course is designed to provide practicing professionals with the skills to develop internal and external communication strategies. Students learn how to identify audiences and target messages and to select styles, technologies, and formats of written, visual, and oral communication best suited to accomplishing organizational objectives.
- ORG575: Critical Evaluation of Research and TheoryIn this course, students learn to evaluate research and theory in an applied business setting. Students gain a comprehensive knowledge of research related to the leading and managing of business organizations from both a consumer and a creator perspective. Topics include the research process, theoretical frameworks, qualitative and quantitative approaches, and applied research design within an organizational context.
- ORG579: Capstone — Organizational Leadership OR ORG581: Organizational Leadership: Strategy and ExecutionStudents have the option of selecting ORG579 or ORG581 as the capstone course of this program. See the Academic Catalog for full course descriptions. Both options represent a culmination of the knowledge and skills gain throughout the M.S. in Organizational Leadership program.
- ORG595: Organizational Leadership InternshipThe internship provides students with practical experience in organizations specific to their fields. Each student will work under the direct supervision of a senior-level professional at an approved organization or company. The purpose of the internship is for students to apply and integrate what they have learned during the core courses of their programs.
All courses are taught by qualified instructors with current industry experience. Our instructors hold advanced degrees in their fields, and are specially trained to teach online, so you and your fellow students can think more critically about how the subject matter applies to real-world situations.
We will help you customize your online degree in organizational leadership by adding a specialization. Similar to a degree concentration, each specialization consists of four courses in your chosen area of interest.
Explore Your Specialization Options for Your Master’s in Organizational Leadership:
- AccountingThe accounting program is ideal for students interested in pursuing advanced business opportunities in financial planning, bookkeeping, or accounting fields.
- Applied Business ManagementGain a competitive advantage and increase career prospects through this specialization or certificate of completion with a focus on practical business and management skills in accounting, financing, strategic development, organizational change, and more.
- Business IntelligenceThis program focused on utilizing data and interpreting trends in information to accomplish company objectives and goals.
- Criminal Justice LeadershipThe criminal justice field includes careers in security, courts, corrections, and forensics, as well as local, state, and federal law enforcement agencies. The graduate level Criminal Justice Leadership program provides advanced management skills to further your professional development.
- FinanceIn this program, students are prepared for careers as financial managers and leaders in the corporate world. Advanced financial areas of study include economics, decision making, risk and return, global market analysis, strategic planning, reporting, and more.With a master’s degree from CSU-Global featuring a specialization in finance, students are prepared for careers as financial managers and leaders in the corporate world. Advanced financial areas of study include economics, decision making, risk and return, global market analysis, strategic planning, reporting, and more.
- Fraud ManagementThe Fraud Management program is ideal for financial specialists focused on the prevention of deceitful practices and activity through the effective management and protection of sensitive information.
- Healthcare AdministrationProfessionals interested in the management of healthcare facilities and departments should consider CSU-Global's online Healthcare Administration program in order to acquire knowledge and best practices for effective supervision and decision making in the healthcare field.
- Human Resource ManagementStudents interested in furthering their careers in the field of human resources should consider this program, which provides organizational management skills with an emphasis on personnel, staff training and development, policy and procedures, and more. This program is designed as an HRCI certification prep course.
- Human Resource PerformanceStudents who aim to improve an organization’s effectiveness through human resources should consider the Human Resource Performance program. Emphasis is on the successful management of organized labor employees in dynamic environments.
- Information TechnologyManagers, directors, and senior executives in information technology can gain vital knowledge to increase an organization’s efficiency and effectiveness in the marketplace through the advanced IT strategies and implementation training provided by this program.
- International ManagementIn today’s global marketplace, effective leadership in any industry requires special skills. Students interested in pursuing a career with multi-national strategic vision benefit from the skills and application of knowledge obtained in the International Management program.
- Online Learning Innovation and DesignStudents of the Online Learning program gain the knowledge and skills necessary to create a powerful and engaging learning experience. Areas of study include the practical application of innovative and original instructional delivery, virtual learning environments, and evaluation of learning outcome achievement.
- Organizational Learning and PerformanceLearn to apply essential learning strategies and instructional design techniques in order to increase performance and accomplish organizational goals. Key topics include performance and delivery systems, assessment and evaluation, the use of learning technologies, and strategic planning and leadership.
- Project ManagementThis graduate level program in project management offers extensive leadership and skill development regarding improved organizational efficiency and performance. These courses include topic areas, practical skills, and knowledge aligned to professional certifications associated with the Project Management Institute (PMI) including the Certified Associate in Project Management (CAPM)® and the Project Management Professional (PMP)®.
- Strategic Innovation and Change ManagementThis program focuses on enhancing one’s ability to efficiently manage though the strategic implementation of change and evolution within a business or organization. Managers who effectively adapt to meet the needs of their environment are more likely to succeed.
Earning your master’s degree in organizational leadership shows that you have strategic planning and negotiation skills; earning it at CSU-Global means you are already thinking this way. Our promise to you is an affordable education with low tuition rates guaranteed not to increase for as long as you are enrolled, with no student fees or out-of-state tuition upcharges.
We know you’re busy. But school can fit into your professional, family, and other life obligations. Our year round, 100% online classes give you the flexibility to learn and study when it’s most convenient for you.
Fill out the form below and we'll contact you and answer all of your questions.
By submitting this form I agree that I can be contacted using the email or phone number that I provided.