We recently discussed what finance is, why it's a good major, and what you can do with a degree in the field.
Today, we want to discuss the idea that obtaining a finance degree is often seen as too difficult, and we want to explain why that isn’t necessarily the case.
Like many other fields of study, there are many preconceived notions about finance, including that it may be overly challenging and not worth the effort. This idea isn't accurate, and we’ll explain why you should think about studying finance below.
Once you have all the details about finance, you can take the next step towards developing your career in this field.
If you’re interested in pursuing your education, please fill out our information request form to receive more information about our 100% online Bachelor's of Finance or our online Master's of Finance, which are the perfect programs to launch or advance your career in the industry.
If you're ready to get started, submit your application today!
Why Do People Think Finance is Difficult?
There are a few reasons why some people might consider finance a difficult field to study or work in, including:
- Managing an organization's finances sounds intimidating
- Finance requires a wide range of knowledge and skills that seem difficult to master, especially for someone without any finance experience
- Finance professionals have a high level of responsibility, to the teams of people that they direct, their supervisors, and upper management, which may be scary at first thought
But while finance is indeed a challenging and complex field to navigate, and while there is a lot to learn in preparation for a successful finance position, that doesn’t mean this is a subject you should avoid.
If you’re interested in becoming a finance professional, then you should consider overcoming that fear of the challenges you might face pursuing your education, as the knowledge and skills you’ll develop by completing a degree in the subject will be well worth the investment.
Because virtually every organization needs a finance professional, you may be able to find a position in nearly any industry, from hospitality to healthcare to technology. Each industry will present its own set of challenges, but as a well-educated finance professional, you’ll have the ability to meet and overcome them.
The best way to ensure a successful career in finance is to learn about finance best practices and strategies in an official academic setting through an accredited degree program.
With proper instruction from a qualified educational institution, you will find that the challenges mentioned above will turn out to be less of a concern than you might have originally expected.
What Do You Need to Learn to Become a Finance Professional?
There are numerous skills and concepts that you need to learn before you can become a successful finance professional, including topics like:
- Understanding proper terminology, theories, concepts, practices, and skills specific to the industry.
- Interpreting financial statements and ratios.
- Applying financial principles to practice business problems and personal financial situations.
- Examining investment opportunities and evaluating, then managing financial risk.
- Performing financial analysis using quantitative concepts and techniques.
These skills are crucial for completing daily tasks and long-term achievements as a finance professional, like:
- Developing and nurturing relationships with both organizations and individual clients.
- Calculating debt repayment schedules.
- Estimating and managing financial risk.
- Implementing cash management strategies.
- Applying legislative, regulatory, and industry principles to financial scenarios.
- Assessing client and organizational financial status using interview and data-gathering skills.
Though these responsibilities may sound overwhelming at first, they become much more manageable for a person who has prepared for the position by studying finance.
Obtaining a relevant degree helps you develop finance skills and a solid foundation of knowledge that will make you a valuable asset to any organization looking for a well-rounded finance professional.
Who Should Consider Becoming a Finance Professional?
If you like the idea of becoming a finance professional and are considering pursuing a degree in the field, take some time to find out if this career choice will be a good fit for you based on your career goals and your lifestyle.
As we've established, finance courses can be challenging (like any other valuable field!), but as long as you're ready to put in the time and effort, they will be worth it.
Several characteristics could indicate that you are particularly suited to becoming a successful finance professional. Have a look at the list below to see if you identify with any of them:
- Quick learners. The financial industry is fast-paced, and what worked last year (or yesterday) may no longer apply to the current situation. If you can't learn quickly and adapt, then finance may not be for you.
- People-focused. A “people first” mentality is critical for any aspiring financial professional since you’ll need to put clients’ interests ahead of your own.
- Communication skills. Math wizards don’t tend to make the best finance professionals, since knowing the numbers is one thing, but being able to explain them to clients is another entirely.
- Analytical skills. If you want to be successful in the finance industry, you will need to hone your analytical skills. The ability to see where markets are headed or what the long-term trend line predicts is of critical importance to anyone working in finance.
- Leadership: Have you ever held a leadership position in school, work, or volunteering? Do you enjoy leading people to success? If so, this is a good indicator that you will thrive in finance.
- Problem-solving: Problem-solving is a large part of finance. Being able to look at a problem and come up with a creative solution is a desirable trait for any finance professional to have.
- Organized: Working with so many different people and departments means that a finance professional should be organized. Being able to plan ahead and stay on track of assignments, duties, and projects is another good indication that you might be well-suited to the finance industry.
If you possess any of the above traits, you may be uniquely prepared to enjoy a successful career in finance.
Remember that these aren't the only indicators of potential success as a finance professional, but that they’re just a few of the more common traits to look for.
Do You Need a Degree to Break Into the Field?
In most cases, a degree is required to get into finance.
Whether the degree is in finance or another business-related field, like accounting, mathematics, or data analytics, you’ll almost certainly need some kind of accredited, bachelor’s-level degree to become a finance professional.
Obtaining your Bachelor’s Degree in Finance is the best way to start your career in the field, but you might also want to consider a Master’s Degree in Finance if you’re looking to land a more challenging, senior-level management position.
Because finance plays a critical role in any organization, there is a lot to know to fulfill daily responsibilities, and getting your degree from an accredited university will ensure that you have all the skills and abilities that will make you a successful finance professional.
In addition, completing a degree in the field signals to potential employers that you have what it takes to be an effective finance professional who is capable of helping the organization remain operational and profitable, so getting your degree should help improve your marketability for related roles.
What Type of Degree Should You Get? Bachelor's vs. Master's Programs
Now that you know a degree is an important part of launching a successful bid to become a finance professional, you might be wondering if you should go for a bachelor's or a master's degree.
To choose the right degree, think about your career goals and aspirations. To decide which degree program may be more suitable for your particular needs, pay careful attention to the following factors:
- Your current academic credentials
- Your managerial and other relevant work experience
- Your career goals
A bachelor's degree is an excellent choice to start your path toward becoming a finance professional. If you don't yet have a bachelor's degree, then we suggest looking into getting your Bachelor's Degree in Finance.
However, if you already have a bachelor's degree in finance or any other field, you might be more suited to a master's program. Our Master of Finance Degree is an excellent step to landing a more senior job in finance and growing a successful career in the finance industry.
Deciding which degree program is right for you can be challenging. If you're having difficulty choosing between a bachelor's or master's degree, feel free to contact one of our Enrollment Counselors by calling 1-800-462-7845 or emailing enroll [at] csuglobal.edu.
Regardless of the program you choose to complete, you can rest assured that completing any degree program from CSU Global will help you get your career off on the right foot.
Should You Get Your Degree in Finance Online?
Yes, you should consider getting your finance degree online.
Online degree programs offer a level of flexibility and freedom that aren't found in traditional classroom-based programs. Online programs allow you to study at your own pace, on your own time.
That means you can work your educational requirements and tasks around your existing schedule, so work and family responsibilities don’t have to get in the way or be ignored.
CSU Global's 100% online degrees in finance were designed to be completed entirely online, and while we offer the same high standards of education as you would find with in-person classes, our program can save you the significant time constraints you’d face by getting your degree from a traditional, campus-based school.
Furthermore, choosing to study business management online with CSU Global means you get to enjoy:
- Accelerated 8-week courses
- Monthly class start dates
- The freedom to attend your virtual classes from anywhere in the world
If you're ready to get started on your journey toward becoming a finance professional, but are concerned about how you'll fit the education requirements into your already busy life, getting your degree online from CSU Global may be the perfect solution.
Why Should You Consider Studying Finance at CSU Global?
CSU Global’s online Finance Bachelor’s and Master’s programs prepare students to meet the challenges they’ll face working in the field of global financial services.
Our programs are regionally accredited by the Higher Learning Commission, and the Master’s in Finance is also accredited by the Accreditation Council for Business Schools and Programs (ACBSP).
These programs were designed to be completed 100% online, offering you the flexibility you need to complete your educational pursuits without sacrificing existing family and career responsibilities.
Reasons to Choose our B.S. in Finance Degree
CSU Global is an excellent choice if you’re looking for an online college for finance. Our program will help you develop essential skills to work in this competitive industry, including:
- Foundations of financial management.
- Fiscal decision-making skills.
- Technological approaches to business challenges.
- Understanding financial risk.
Also, when choosing the CSU Global Bachelor’s in Finance with a Financial Planning specialization, you’ll be in one of just a few programs in the country that is recognized by the CFP Board®. Those who earn a CFP Board-recognized degree are distinguishing themselves among their peers by meeting CFP Board’s education, examination, experience, and ethics requirements. Completing this program also means you’ll have met the education requirement for CFP® Certification Examination administered by the CFP Board.
Finally, with our accelerated schedules, monthly class starts, no set class times, and 100% online degree formats, this B.S. in Finance program lets you earn your degree on your schedule.
Reasons to Choose our M.S. in Finance Degree
Completing our Master’s Degree in Finance is designed to hone your leadership, analytical, and operational skills to give you a competitive edge in this challenging industry.
This program is widely recognized as a top-ranked program and has won several well-respected rankings, including:
- A #1 ranking for Best Online Master’s in Finance by Best Masters Programs.
- A #2 ranking for Best Online Master’s in Finance Degree Programs by Intelligent.
Our M.S. in Finance alumni also report finding impressive real-world success one year after completing their program, with a median salary that is 6% higher than the national average for all master’s degree holders.
Furthermore, you can count on your degree earning the respect of potential employers as CSU Global itself has also earned several impressive rankings, including:
- A #1 ranking for Best Online Colleges & Schools in Colorado from Best Accredited Colleges.
- A #1 ranking for Best Online Colleges in Colorado from Best Colleges.
- A #10 ranking for Best Online Colleges for ROI from OnlineU.
Finally, we offer competitive tuition rates and a Tuition Guarantee which ensures your rate won’t increase as long as you remain enrolled as a student with us.
To get additional details about our 100% online, fully-accredited Bachelor’s Degree in Finance, or our Master’s Degree in Finance please give us a call at (800) 462-7845, or fill out our Information Request Form.
Ready to get started today? Apply now!