What to Do if Your University Closes its Doors

By Elizabeth Rittiman - May 13th, 2019

what to do if your school closes

A recent rash of colleges and universities have gone out of business, leaving students in a precarious position. What do you do when your college or university closes? Alumni are often left wondering if their degrees or certificates from closed schools are still valid, while current students must navigate transferring to new schools and the financial implications of their college closing.

Schools are closing for reasons that range from financial troubles to suspended or revoked accreditations. (Education Drive, an education-industry publication, lists more than 50 schools that have, since 2016, either closed or merged with other institutions.)

A school closure doesn’t mean your educational journey has to end!
CSU Global can help you transfer credits and enroll in a 100% online career-driven program.

If your college or university closes, don’t panic: There are still ways to complete your education or obtain proof of earned degrees.

Continuing Your Education If Your University Shuts Down

You’ve already invested a lot of time and money into your education. Don’t quit now! Your current school may provide information on transfer or degree-completion options; be sure to review them before considering alternatives.

  • Teach-out – A teach-out is an agreement between schools that provides for the equitable treatment of students and an opportunity for students to complete their program of study. If your school is offering a teach-out option, and you are comfortable with their ability to deliver on that promise, you can stay the course.
  • Transfer to a new school – If you can’t or are hesitant to stay at your current school, it’s time to explore other options. Check to see if your school has made arrangements with another institution to make transferring easier. If they have, make sure that school can provide you exactly what you are looking for. Don’t settle or take unnecessary risks. Find the school that provides the programs you desire, with the credibility and stability to support your long-term goals.

Transferring credits does have limits. Most schools will only take up to 60 or 90 credits, depending on the length of the degree program you’re choosing. Be involved when your transcripts are being reviewed — and don’t be afraid to ask for a second review if you feel something was missed in your credit evaluation. 

During this process, be sure to ask about transferring traditional credits as well as past work experience. CSU Global accepts all applicants who have completed an Associate degree from an accredited community college, and accepts junior, community, and career college transfer credit. Additionally, CSU Global may transfer previous work or life experience to college credit through self-study assessments, prior learning assessments, or credit by exam

Online Education Isn’t Another Thing We Do, It’s All We Do®
Learn more about our future-facing programs built with purpose for a superior online learning experience and your individual career success.

Paying Student Loans or Tuition Bills If Your College Closes

Most students wonder how their school’s closing will affect their loans. The answer isn’t simple, as it actually depends on how the school was closed. If the school completely shut down, you may be eligible to discharge your federal student loans. If the school is offering a teach-out option, you can opt out and still may qualify to have your loans discharged — though this option is not available if the school merged with or was purchased by another school.

If you are planning on discharging your student loans, please remember:

  • You cannot discharge your loans if you are transferring to another school.
  • If you discharge your loans, and then complete your degree elsewhere, you could be liable for those loans again.
  • Because a discharged loan is counted as taxable income, make sure you understand the financial implications of discharging loans.

For more information about discharging a student loan because of a school closure, visit https://studentaid.ed.gov/repay-loans/forgiveness-cancellation/closed-school.

Transcripts and Completed Degrees From Closed Universities and Colleges

When your school closes, it’s critical to consider where documentation for your education stands.

Alumni may be concerned about how to explain or prove their education to an employer. If your college closed after you graduated, don’t worry: Your degree from a closed school is valid! Still, it’s a good idea to have a copy of the certificate or diploma that was given when you completed your degree.

Some shuttered schools will set up a document repository with another institution, while others may use a transcript service. We recommend ordering multiple copies of your transcripts, as well as saving a copy of the current catalog, for your records. Additionally, another school or the state’s Department of Higher Education will assume responsibility for storing records. The U.S. Department of Education has a “Closed School Guide for Students” to help you get your official transcripts.

Transferring To A New School After Your University Becomes Virtual 

If your college or university goes virtual in lieu of closing down completely, measure your options. Your education is an important investment, and successful online learning requires robust tools and systems in place. Many schools may have just incorporated online classes, but don’t have the best tools to make online learning work for their students. 

If you’re not confident about your university’s ability to provide an excellent virtual education, you have options. Look into transferring to a different college, or investigate online universities. CSU Global has always been an online college and was built with the systems and tools needed to support online learning. With certificate, undergraduate, graduate degree programs, you can take charge of your future and elevate your career path with confidence.

Updated 4/23/2020

Comments 8

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *


Subscribe to the Global Broadcast

Each month, receive articles that inform and inspire.