Recently we explained what criminal justice is and why it matters, and here we’re going to explore what criminal justice professionals do for work.
This post will review the common job titles, work duties, and daily responsibilities of criminal justice professionals.
But first, keep in mind that most people who finish a degree in criminal justice and enter the field don’t end up with the job title of “Criminal Justice Professional”, but that they are much more likely to end up working in roles like:
- Forensic Analyst
- Customs Officer
- Crime Scene Technician
- Criminal Investigator
After reviewing the list of roles above, you can probably guess that the responsibilities of anyone working in criminal justice could vary considerably, but there is likely to be at least some overlap in their responsibilities, and that’s what we’ll cover below.
When you’ve finished reading this post, fill out our information request form to receive additional details about CSU Global’s 100% online Bachelor’s Degree in Criminal Justice, or if you’re ready to get started, submit your application today.
Typical Criminal Justice Professionals Roles & Responsibilities
Criminal justice professionals are responsible for a wide variety of different tasks, including providing specialized advice on court proceedings, collecting and analyzing evidence, and other duties that help contribute to organizational and client success.
Some common tasks required of criminal justice professionals include:
- Performing research, writing up reports, and assisting attorneys in a variety of important tasks
- Developing detailed processes and assisting in the development of legislation to create a functioning criminal justice system
- Assisting in the rehabilitation of individuals released from prison, helping to integrate their lives back into modern society
- Collecting, organizing, and analyzing evidence for active court cases
Keep in mind that you may be involved in one or several of the above processes as a criminal justice professional, but that you might also be tasked with very different responsibilities altogether.
Your work in this space will depend on your specific capabilities and aptitudes, and the needs of the organization that hires you.
However, no matter what niche you end up working in, it’s important to realize that you’ll need to develop a robust set of criminal justice skills if you want to achieve any level of success in this field, and the best way to do that is to get your degree in criminal justice.
What Will I Learn from a Criminal Justice Bachelor’s Degree Program?
Should you choose to study criminal justice at CSU Global, we’ll ensure that you’re fully prepared for a career in this challenging, competitive industry.
Our program will focus on developing the real-world skills you need to provide value as a criminal justice professional, including skills and abilities like:
- Understanding how the criminal justice system impacts communities and society
- Building a complex awareness of the need to balance public safety with civil liberties
- Gaining awareness of the ethical issues and controversial policies faced by criminal justice personnel and organizations
- Developing detailed knowledge about how to run a criminal justice system
To be clear, our program also includes training on a wide variety of other skills, including coursework designed to improve your people skills and leadership abilities, which will certainly make it easier to operate as an effective criminal justice professional.
Developing these hard and soft skills will prepare you to deliver real value to any organization from your first day on the job, no matter what specific role you end up being hired into.
Is Criminal Justice a Good Career?
Yes, this is a great option for anyone interested in building a lifelong career in an important industry that offers real opportunities for making a serious contribution to society.
Whether you choose to work for a private organization or the public sector, your skills in criminal justice will allow you to have a positive impact on society, enforce the legal system, and help organizations achieve their goals.
This field offers an excellent opportunity to make a difference in society, as criminal justice professionals are responsible for protecting people and their things from criminal activity, terrorism, and other threats.
If your goal is to establish a set of skills that allows you to contribute to the success of any organization and make a real difference in society, then you couldn’t find a better fit than criminal justice.
What’s the Best Way to Launch a Career in Criminal Justice?
While many industries are accessible without a degree, positions in criminal justice typically require you to first complete a Bachelor’s Degree before you can get hired.
It’s especially important to get your degree if you’re looking to develop a real career in the industry, or if you want to land anything other than a menial, entry-level job.
If one of your career goals is to become a criminal justice professional so that you can contribute to organizational success, then you’ll certainly want to complete a Bachelor's Degree in Criminal Justice.
Choosing to get your B.S. in Criminal Justice online with us at CSU Global ensures that you’ll develop the skills and knowledge required to break into this field by providing you with training in the following areas:
- International crime
- Ethical issues
- Technological developments
- Decision-making skills and best practices
- The impact of crime on society
This program is designed to train you to take the reins as a criminal justice professional, furthering your professional development so that you can advance your career within this exciting, challenging industry.
What Jobs Can You Get With a Bachelor’s Degree in Criminal Justice?
CSU Global’s online Bachelor’s Degree in Criminal Justice will prepare you for complex, challenging leadership roles, including jobs like:
- Police and Detectives / 2021 Median Pay: $66,020
- Probation Officers and Correctional Treatment Specialists / 2021 Median Pay: $60,250
- Emergency Management Directors / 2021 Median Pay: $76,730
- Private Detectives and Investigators / 2021 Median Pay: $59,380
Keep in mind that this is just a short list of a handful of potential job titles you could apply to after earning your degree and that the full list of available positions would run much longer.
Simply put, there are all sorts of specialty roles where your B.S. in Criminal Justice will prepare you to excel in, including nearly any role that requires criminal justice skills or law enforcement knowledge.
Why Should You Consider Studying Criminal Justice at CSU Global?
Our online Bachelor’s Degree in Criminal Justice is regionally accredited by the Higher Learning Commission, which is the most respected accreditation possible.
All of our criminal justice courses are taught by faculty who have recent, real-world experience in the field, and our programs are designed to provide you with relevant, workplace-related knowledge and skills.
We also help students get their careers off the ground by expanding their professional networks thanks to our relationships with important criminal justice agencies and organizations, including:
- Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA)
- International Association of Emergency Managers (IAEM)
- Association of Certified Fraud Examiners (ACFE)
- Coalition Against Insurance Fraud (CAIF)
- Alpha Phi Sigma Honors Society
Our Bachelor of Criminal Justice program is also extremely well respected, having earned top rankings, including:
- A #1 ranking on The 10 Best Online Bachelor's in Criminal Justice Degree Programs from Online Course Report.
- A #1 ranking on Top 10 Cheap Online Law Enforcement Degree Programs from Best Value Schools.
- A #3 ranking on Top 10 Forensic Science Bachelor's Degree Programs 2020 from Criminal Justice Degree Hub.
CSU Global itself is also regarded as an industry leader in higher education, having recently won several important awards, including:
- A #1 ranking for Best Online Colleges & Schools in Colorado from Best Accredited Colleges.
- A #1 ranking for Best Online Colleges in Colorado from Best Colleges.
- A #10 ranking for Best Online Colleges for ROI from OnlineU.
Finally, CSU Global offers competitive tuition rates, and a Tuition Guarantee to ensure that your tuition will not increase for as long as you remain enrolled.
To get additional details about our fully-accredited online Bachelor’s Degree in Criminal Justice please give us a call at (800) 462-7845, or fill out our Information Request Form.
Ready to get started today? Apply now!