Serve at a higher level by earning your Educational Leadership - Principal Licensure
Combine your passion for education with your talent for leadership. With CSU Global’s Graduate Certificate in Educational Leadership-Principal Licensure*, you can prepare for an assistant principal or principal role in elementary, middle, or high schools—and you can complete your educational leadership principal licensure coursework and preparation entirely online, around your busy schedule. The Principal Licensure program is the only 100% online principal licensure program authorized by the state of Colorado.
The principal licensure program meets the requirements for licensure in Colorado and is not designed to, and therefore does not, meet the education requirements in any other state. If you wish to understand more about the licensure reciprocity process for teachers please email state.authorizations [at] csuglobal.edu.
The Principal Licensure Concentration program provides students with the required experiences, skills, dispositions and aptitudes to successfully lead in K-12 schools. Our program emphasizes equity, reflective practice, research-based and relevant curriculum, reciprocal partnerships, innovative learning technologies, and leadership development.
Our vision is to cultivate educational leaders who are prepared to lead K-12 schools with integrity, confidence, and the ability to effectively utilize data-driven decision making processes for strategic planning with a focus on continual improvement.
Choose The Option That's Right For You
Prepare to become a school leader with the knowledge and understanding of education theory and high-level leadership techniques. With either of these program options, you'll gain the tools needed to coordinate daily school activities, oversee curricula, and maintain a safe and productive learning environment.
- You may complete coursework and preparation for principal licensure as part of your online Master of Teaching and Learning from CSU Global. If you choose this option, your principal licensure program will replace the specialization requirement of the master’s degree program.
- OR, if you’ve already earned your master’s degree, you can complete your principal licensure coursework and preparation as a 24-credit-hour, stand-alone program.
Students in this licensure program are not required to have completed a master’s degree prior to admission.
- Utilize data to drive decision making.
- Demonstrate educational leadership dispositions.
- Develop strategies to promote an inclusive learning environment.
- Evaluate stakeholder relationships needed to support the diverse needs of a learning community.
- Design change initiatives to ensure compliance with regulatory expectations.
It’s a challenging and rewarding occupation, and CSU Global is here to help you prepare for a bright future as an effective leader in education.
The Principal Licensure Concentration program aligns with the CO Principal Quality Standards and the English Learner Standards and is authorized by the State of CO Board of Education.
CSUG has not made a determination that its curriculum meets the state educational requirements for licensure in states other than Colorado.
If you want to take the next step in your teaching career, or become a principal, the graduate Educational Leadership-Principal Licensure can help you reach your goal.
No later than 14 days prior to start of the term, the following documents will need to be uploaded through the student portal:
- A Vision Statement defining your view of "great school leadership".
- A Declaration of Eligibility form.
- A copy of your current teaching license.
- A resume that provides documented evidence of two or more years of full-time, successful experience working as a licensed or certified professional in a public or non-public elementary or secondary school in the United States, additional professional employment leadership skills, special skills, publications, exhibitions, awards, and service activities.
- A reference letter completed by a school administrator indicating that you have the skills and disposition to be an effective school leader.
- A statement from the principal of your current school documenting that you are approved to participate in the School Leadership Internship which requires 6-8 hours per week of leadership activities as well as a Principal Mentor from your school or district. In addition, the letter must indicate that you will be afforded opportunities for internship activities outside of the age range of your school to ensure that you have adequate experiences in K-12 leadership.
Talk to your academic advisor for further details and assistance as needed.
Courses In The Program
The graduate Principal Licensure Concentration program consists of seven Education Leadership courses and one research-focused course. During each Education Leadership course Principal Candidates will be completing six to eight hours of internship activities per week that align with the Colorado Principal Quality Standards, the Colorado English Learner Standards, and the program’s Leadership Dispositions. Principal Candidates may from time to time be required to complete internship assignments using readily available data from another school or at another school to ensure leadership experiences in grades K-12.
For financial assistance, see if you qualify for Colorado Center for Rural Education scholarships or stipends.
Credit for Generation Schools Network Students
Through a partnership with Generation Schools Network (GSN), students who complete the Turnaround Leadership (TLP) program are eligible to have credit for four courses applied toward CSU Global’s Principal Licensure Certificate or Master’s in Teaching and Learning - Education Leadership programs. Eligible students can receive up to 12 credit hours toward their program, greatly reducing their time and costs to degree completion and assisting their career advancement in the education field. Further, internship hours logged by GSN TLP participants will count toward the required hours in the program, and they will receive a 10% discount on tuition.
Let's Get Started Together
You don't even have to fill out your application alone. Our Enrollment Counselors are standing by to help if you need us.