Your leadership role in criminal justice and law enforcement awaits.
To be a successful professional in criminal justice and law enforcement administration, you will need to understand how criminal justice organizations function, how to manage the people and issues that you will face regularly, and how to build programs and policies through community involvement and collaboration. Our online Master of Criminal Justice and Law Enforcement degree prepares you for all of this and more.
Job titles you might achieve with a master’s degree in criminal justice and law enforcement administration include:
- Forensic Investigator
- Private Detective
- Loss Prevention Agent
- Financial Investigator
- Legal Investigator
- Detective Sergeant
- Judge or Magistrate
According to the Bureau of Labor Statistics, the criminal justice and law enforcement field is growing at an average rate of 11 percent, the same as the average for all occupations. This means that earning your master’s degree in criminal justice and law enforcement administration will give you a necessary advantage when searching for a job, and securing the career you want.
If you love…
- Detective work
- Uncovering clues
- Verifying facts
- Conducting surveillance
- Collecting evidence
- Investigating crimes
- Analyzing and thinking creatively
…then you may enjoy working in the criminal justice and law enforcement administration field.
Fill out the short form to the right to request more information, and get started on earning your master's degree in Criminal Justice and Law Enforcement Administration.
Earn Your Master's Degree In Criminal Justice and Law Enforcement Administration
Building on your already strong foundation of knowledge of the criminal justice system, this master’s degree program is designed to equip you with the knowledge and tools that you’ll need to advance in the industry.
In the master of criminal justice and law enforcement administration degree program, you will evaluate the role of an effective criminal justice manager, untangle the ethical issues facing law enforcement agencies and organizations, examine diversity issues, and develop solutions to common law and criminal justice related problems.
The Master's of Criminal Justice and Law Enforcement Administration provides an advanced understanding of theory and best practices of individuals in management positions of criminal justice, fraud management, and law enforcement organizations. The curriculum addresses topics including ethics, decision making, and the impact of crime in society to improve the effectiveness of criminal justice systems. This program serves as a pathway to career advancement and/or for doctoral study. Minnesota residents: The Criminal Justice and Law Enforcement Administration program does not satisfy the Minnesota requirements for licensure as a law enforcement/police officer.
- Examine crime and control from a range of theoretical perspectives and from a global spectrum.
- Identify and read research studies in academic and scientific sources and understand them in terms of design, data collection, and analytical method.
- Assess and synthesize scientific evaluation research in policy analysis and recommendation.
- Discuss the roles, strategies, and impacts of effective leadership and management.
- Evaluate the role of community-based justice in preventing crime and the “revolving door” and explore strategies of engaging community in justice planning.
- Appreciate professional ethics for criminal justice organizations and professionals and demonstrate the ability of exercising ethical judgment in the events emerging in professional fields.
- Show current knowledge of high-tech and occupational crimes in cause, detection, investigation, prosecution, and prevention.
CSU-Global’s accredited Online Master’s Degree in Criminal Justice and Law Enforcement Administration is designed to provide you with practical knowledge of the field. The program consists of eight three-credit core courses as part of a full 36-credit master’s degree. (Some Master of Criminal Justice and Law Enforcement Administration students may also be required to take RES501 as part of their program if they have an undergraduate GPA below 3.00. In this case, the degree is 39 credits.)
- RES501: Fundamentals of Research and WritingThis course is only required for students who are accepted into this program with an undergraduate GPA below 3.00.
The primary purpose of this course is to help students entering graduate level programs at CSU-Global develop awareness of current and effective research and writing practices with the goal of implementing such practices into their writing and research projects. Students will learn what constitutes graduate level writing and research as well as how to communicate with colleagues in online professional forums. Students will also learn to effectively integrate writing and research skills into the writing projects they will pursue throughout their graduate level programs.
- CRJ500: Criminological TheoryThis course surveys the major schools of thought about crime causation (sociological, psychological, and biological), identifies the primary positions of each theoretical approach, examines the role of theories in reasoning and organizing studies of crime and control, and discerns policy implications of various theories. In completing the course, students will gain/improve their library research skills and acquaint themselves with APA style and citing sources.
- CRJ530: Ethics, Justice, and Social Control This course explores the theory, practice, and application of ethics to the field of criminal justice. Students explore the role ethics plays in law enforcement, in the courts, and in corrections, to gain a basic understanding of how ethics meshes with the practice of criminal justice. The course further examines the ways in which ethics and popular constructions of ethics have influenced and continue to impact justice policy.
- CRJ540: Criminal Justice Policy and AnalysisThis course explores the process of policy making in the justice system, including an examination of the ways policy decisions impact criminal justice organizations. Students will learn the fundamentals of the policy process, including agenda setting, implementation, and evaluation. Students will also explore the impact of media and other external forces on setting the policy agenda at the local, state, and federal levels. This course will prepare the student for further inquiry into policy making and the policy process, providing a solid foundation for students to understand the role of policy in justice system practices.
- CRJ550: Administration and Management of Criminal Justice OrganizationsThis course links theories of organizational behavior to the management of justice organizations. Students will examine challenges facing criminal justice leaders who manage resources and employees and who are responsible for public safety. Class discussions will expand students' understanding of what differentiates criminal justice organizations from private and other public organizations.
- CRJ560: Communities and the Administration of JusticeUnderstand the role communities play in the administration of justice and the responsibility of criminal justice organizations to involve communities in justice planning.
- CRJ570: Applied Research for Criminal Justice ProfessionalsThe course aims to develop students' practical understanding of and experience in applying the most common research tools and techniques used by criminal justice organizations. Students are able to contextualize criminal behavior while developing skills using tools for resource allocation within criminal justice agencies.
- CRJ575: Analytical MethodsThe course provides a foundation for the quantitative analysis of the relationship between variables. Students gain a working knowledge of conducting, critically evaluating, and reporting statistical analyses for studies in criminology and the criminal justice fields. The emphasis will be on hypothesis testing with bivariate statistical methods and the linear regression model.
- CRJ580: Criminal Justice Capstone ExperienceThis course provides an opportunity for understanding and integrating research and components of crime and justice administration/management as learned throughout the Master of Criminal Justice and Law Enforcement Administration program. Students evaluate a social intervention or justice policy by reviewing research evidence and making proper recommendations. The course centers on the completion of an evidence-based capstone work that will serve as the essential foundation of a professional portfolio.
- CRJ595 Criminal Justice Internship*In this course, students participate on the staff of a criminal justice or related service agency under the co-supervision of faculty and agency personnel. Weekly journals and a mid-term report are required and combine theory and observation of professional practice. Other course requirement include a mid-term conference with the faculty internship coordinator and evaluation of the on-site supervisor. On-site hours are determined by credit hours.
* CRJ595 is an optional course that students may select if they currently work in a criminal justice setting. See the Academic Catalog for additional information.
All courses are taught by qualified instructors with current industry experience. Our instructors hold advanced degrees in their fields, and are specially trained to teach online, so you and your fellow students can think more critically about how the subject matter applies to real-world situations.
We will help you customize your online degree in criminal justice and law enforcement administration by adding a specialization. Similar to a degree concentration, each specialization consists of four courses in your chosen area of interest.
- AccountingThe accounting program is ideal for students interested in pursuing advanced business opportunities in financial planning, bookkeeping, or accounting fields.
- Applied Business ManagementGain a competitive advantage and increase career prospects through this specialization or certificate of completion with a focus on practical business and management skills in accounting, financing, strategic development, organizational change, and more.
- Business IntelligenceThis program focused on utilizing data and interpreting trends in information to accomplish company objectives and goals.
- FinanceIn this program, students are prepared for careers as financial managers and leaders in the corporate world. Advanced financial areas of study include economics, decision making, risk and return, global market analysis, strategic planning, reporting, and more.With a master’s degree from CSU-Global featuring a specialization in finance, students are prepared for careers as financial managers and leaders in the corporate world. Advanced financial areas of study include economics, decision making, risk and return, global market analysis, strategic planning, reporting, and more.
- Fraud ManagementThe Fraud Management program is ideal for financial specialists focused on the prevention of deceitful practices and activity through the effective management and protection of sensitive information.
- Healthcare AdministrationProfessionals interested in the management of healthcare facilities and departments should consider CSU-Global's online Healthcare Administration program in order to acquire knowledge and best practices for effective supervision and decision making in the healthcare field.
- Human Resource ManagementStudents interested in furthering their careers in the field of human resources should consider this program, which provides organizational management skills with an emphasis on personnel, staff training and development, policy and procedures, and more. This program is designed as an HRCI certification prep course.
- Human Resource PerformanceStudents who aim to improve an organization’s effectiveness through human resources should consider the Human Resource Performance program. Emphasis is on the successful management of organized labor employees in dynamic environments.
- Information TechnologyManagers, directors, and senior executives in information technology can gain vital knowledge to increase an organization’s efficiency and effectiveness in the marketplace through the advanced IT strategies and implementation training provided by this program.
- International ManagementIn today’s global marketplace, effective leadership in any industry requires special skills. Students interested in pursuing a career with multi-national strategic vision benefit from the skills and application of knowledge obtained in the International Management program.
- Organizational Leadership and Change ManagementManagers, at any level or tenure, must be able to adapt to the ever-changing landscape of business. Students in this program gain the tools for career advancement by learning to thrive through market innovations and handle rapid organizational growth and change.
- Organizational Learning and PerformanceLearn to apply essential learning strategies and instructional design techniques in order to increase performance and accomplish organizational goals. Key topics include performance and delivery systems, assessment and evaluation, the use of learning technologies, and strategic planning and leadership.
- Project ManagementThis graduate level program in project management offers extensive leadership and skill development regarding improved organizational efficiency and performance. These courses include topic areas, practical skills, and knowledge aligned to professional certifications associated with the Project Management Institute (PMI) including the Certified Associate in Project Management (CAPM)® and the Project Management Professional (PMP)®.
- Strategic Innovation and Change ManagementThis program focuses on enhancing one’s ability to efficiently manage though the strategic implementation of change and evolution within a business or organization. Managers who effectively adapt to meet the needs of their environment are more likely to succeed.
Earning your master’s degree shows you have excellent critical thinking and decision making skills. Earning it at CSU-Global means you're already pretty good at it. Our promise to you is an affordable education with low tuition rates guaranteed not to increase for as long as you are enrolled, with no student fees or out-of-state tuition up charges.
We know you’re busy, but school can fit into your professional, family, and other life obligations. Our year-round, 100% online classes give you the flexibility to learn and study when it’s most convenient for you.