Engage! Online Instructor Development Series
Whether you are an industry professional looking to share your expertise or a teacher with primarily traditional classroom experience, you can learn what it takes to teach in an online environment.
This comprehensive 10-week course is designed to provide teachers from traditional classroom settings, as well as industry experts who have an interest in teaching, with the instructional skills necessary to succeed in the online classroom. Participants will explore essential components of effective online instruction and evidence-based best practices, including an introduction to online learning, the characteristics of online learners, technologies that facilitate and support student engagement and assessment, and course management.
For more information, email Instructor.Development@CSUGlobal.edu.
- Start Date: September 1, 2014
- Cost: $450
- Certificate and 45 Continuing Education Units awarded upon completion.
- Complete the registration form below to get started!
Prerequisites: Master’s or terminal degree in a subject matter area and basic computer skills.
Note: Payment is due at the time of registration. Participants who officially drop the course prior to the start date will be able to receive a 95% refund. Participants who officially drop the course within the first seven days of the start will be able to receive an 80% refund. After the seventh day of the term, no refunds are available. Completion of this course does not constitute, either directly or implied, an offer of employment from CSU-Global Campus. Click here to view CSU-Global's faculty qualification requirements.
- Introduction to online learning and characteristics of online learners
- Managing discussions in the online classroom
- Technologies that facilitate and support online teaching and student engagement
- Assessment and feedback
- Time and course management
- Professional networking in online education groups
- Upon completion of this course, participants will be able to:
- Identify and describe characteristics and unique needs of online learners
- Identify strategies to effectively acclimate students to the online learning environment
- Explore evidence-based practices for online teaching and learning, with specific focus on connecting learners to learners, learners to content, and learners to instructor
- Recognize and establish an appropriate presence (social, cognitive, and teaching presence) in
- order to facilitate learning and build a learning community
- Identify strategies to promote effective instruction and student engagement in discussion forums
- Evaluate appropriate tools for online communication
- Demonstrate the use of multimedia tools to demonstrate teaching and social presence and promote cognitive presence
- Evaluate feedback strategies appropriate to adult online learners
- Identify networking, potential employment, and professional development opportunities